Representing, Storing, and Retrieving Information
Professor William T. Verts
Rooms, Email, Web
- Lecture #1 - Introduction to the Class
- Lecture #2 - Analog vs. Digital
- Lecture #3 - Changing Representations / Reduction in Strength
- Lecture #4 - Computing with Gears
- Zoom Lecture March 23, 2020 - Parametric Equations
- Zoom Lecture March 25, 2020 - Audio Representations and Frequency Analysis
- Zoom Lecture March 27, 2020 - Graphics File Formats
- Zoom Lecture March 30, 2020 - Image Processing
- Zoom Lecture April 1, 2020 - Computational Geometry and Ray-Tracing
- Zoom Lecture April 3, 2020 - Representations of Text
- Zoom Lecture April 6, 2020 - Searching and Sorting
- Zoom Lecture April 8, 2020 - Introduction to Databases
- Zoom Lecture April 10, 2020 - Data Structures; Sequential, Random, and Hierarchical Access
- Zoom Lecture April 13, 2020 - Hashing and Soundex Password: M4!1F1v5
- Zoom Lecture April 15, 2020 - Coding: Morse, Nerds in the Woods, UPC-A/EAN-13, QR Codes
- Zoom Lecture April 17, 2020 - Introduction to Compression
- Zoom Lecture April 22, 2020 - Huffman Compression, Delta Modulation
- Zoom Lecture April 24, 2020 - Introduction to Encryption
- Zoom Lecture April 27, 2020 - Steganography, Introduction to Information Theory
- Zoom Lecture April 29, 2002 - Information Theory, Course Wrap-Up
The main book is: "Representing, Storing, and Retrieving Information", ©2009,
4TH Edition, by me, encrypted version available at
- The second book is: Computer Science Companion ©2019, 4TH Edition, REVISED, by me, available at:
- Harry Porter's Relay Computer
- YouTube Videos
My public key pair is: 5, 37380929
Web-Based Crypto Tools
STEGANOGRAPHY AND ENCRYPTION (OLD, WINDOWS ONLY)
My public key pair is: 5, 754157461
RSA Key Generator
Sphere Tracing program executable (Version 0.9)
309 K .ZIP file, expands to a single .EXE file of 606K
Sphere definition files for planet Saturn
113K .ZIP file, expands to nine files totalling 928K (mostly graphics)
GEAR BOX MULTIPLIER
Pictures of the gear box demo brought to class
Worksheet for ENIAC problem
SINGLE PRECISION ANIMATION
Click to see animation of how to create a
Single-Precision Floating Point number
from a Decimal Fraction.
MAKE A 32-BIT NUMBER
Windows program to explore different interpretations for a 32-bit number, including
signed and unsigned integers, single-precision floating point, RGB colors, and nybbles.
(199K .ZIP archive, expands to single .EXE program of 391K)
Windows program to explore different floating point representations for the same
decimal number (entered by the user), covering single-precision, double-precision,
and extended precision (IEEE 754). The user types in a decimal number, and the
display shows its true binary interpretation and floating point representation
for each of the three formats.
(196K .ZIP archive, expands to single .EXE program of 375K)
Windows program to explore design of integers, rationals, fixed and floating point reals.
Version 1.1 adds the ability to save the generated images to .BMP files,
which version 1.0 did not have.
(202K .ZIP archive, expands to single .EXE program of 395K)
(209K .ZIP archive, expands to single .EXE program of 410K)
GIF of two slide rule templates (one for multiplication, one for addition)
which can be printed out and then cut out of the paper for testing.
GIF Animation of a slide rule in action
GIF Animation of simple steganography
Excel 2000 Spreadsheet for Fourier waveform synthesis (chapter 10)
110K .ZIP file, expands to 448K .XLS file
Caesar Cipher Decoder Image (18K .GIF, image is 1020 x 1880 pixels).
Print image stretched to printer page for best effect.
Progressive Image Pyramid demonstration program (developed for class at Smith College, 1998)
330K .ZIP file, expands to 294K .EXE file, plus four 86K .PYR pyramid images.
208K .ZIP file, expands to one .EXE file of 409K.
Binary Tree insertion/deletion program
150K .ZIP file, expands to four files totalling 291K (288K .EXE file and three 1K data files)
Copyright © 2000-2020 Dr. William T. Verts (All Rights Reserved)