Deepak Ganesan is a Professor in the
Department of Computer Science
at UMASS Amherst. He is the Director of the Massachusetts AI and Technology Center for Connected Care in Aging and Alzheimer's Disease (MassAITC), a multidisciplinary initiative spanning UMass Amherst, Brigham and Womens Hospital, Massachusetts General Hospital, Brandeis University and Northeastern University and also directs the Center for Personalized Health Monitoring (CPHM) at UMass Amherst. He received his Ph.D. in Computer Science
from UCLA in 2004 and his
bachelors in Computer Science
from IIT, Madras in
1998. He is an ACM Distinguished Scientist.
My current research focuses on ultra-low power wireless communication, novel platforms and algorithms for mobile and wearable health sensing, learning and inference on multi-modal sensor data, and micro-powered sensors.
My current projects include sensing via smart textiles, smart eyeglasses, backscatter communication, and mobile health.
I co-lead the MOSAIC Research Group.
Click here for a complete list.
- CLIO: Enabling automatic compilation of deep learning pipelines across IoT and Cloud, ACM Mobicom 2020.
- Redefining passive in backscattering with commodity devices, ACM Mobicom 2020.
- Multimodal Smart Eyewear for Longitudinal Eye Movement Tracking, MATTER 2020.
- Phyjama: Fiber-enhanced pyjamas for physiological sensing, ACM Ubicomp 2019.
- Sensing facial expressions from a wearable eyeglass, ACM Ubicomp 2019.
- Sensing Craving, Euphoria and Drug Seeking Behavior using Wearables, ACM Ubicomp 2019.
- Polymorphic Radios: Active-Passive radios for Ultra-low Power Communication, SIGCOMM 2018.
- Sensing joint movements with fabric, SenSys 2018.
- Backscatter Communication for On-body Sensors, SIGCOMM 2016
- Braidio: Energy offload with active-passive radios, SIGCOMM 2016
- Domain Adaptation Methods for Cocaine Detection using Wearables., Ubicomp 2016
- Pupil Tracking via a Low-power Computational Eyeglass, Mobicom 2015.
- Laissez-Faire: Fully asymmetric backscatter communication, SIGCOMM 2015.
- EkhoNet: High Speed Ultra Low-power Backscatter, Mobicom 2014. Best Paper Award Runner-up.
- iShadow: AWearable, Real-Time Mobile Gaze Tracker. MobiSys 2014.
- RisQ: Recognizing Smoking Gestures with Inertial Sensors on a Wristband. MobiSys 2014.
- Enabling Bit-by-Bit Backscatter Communication. NSDI 2014
Ali Kiaghadi, Addison Mayberry, Soha Rostaminia, Mohammad Rostami, Annamalai Natarajan, Xingda Chen, Jin Huang
Alumni: Pengyu Zhang (Postdoc, Stanford), Abhinav Parate (HP Labs, Palo Alto), Jeremy Gummeson (Disney Research, Pittsburgh), Tingxin Yan (Asst. Professor at U. Arkansas), Ming Li (IBM T.J. Watson Research), Devesh Agrawal (IBM), Purushottam Kulkarni (Asst. Professor at IIT Bombay), Gaurav Mathur (Founded 3LM)
Recent Professional activities
Program Chaig: ACM MobiSys 2017, HotWireless
Program Committees: SIGCOMM 2018, NSDI 2017, Sigcomm 2016, MobiSys 2016