COMPSCI 120 FALL 2017
Grading Rubric for Lab #1
If you scored below 10/10, there should be a code in the NOTES
field for Lab #1. That code is one or more letters, each indicating
a 1-point penalty. The codes are as follows:
- A. Any syntax errors that prevent the background color from being cyan. This usually means misspelling the
background-color attribute in the STYLE block, omitting quotes on the color, the color not being exactly six
hex digits, omitting a curly brace, etc.
- B. Any syntax errors that prevent the H1 heading from being centered. This usually means misspelling the
text-align attribute in the STYLE block, omitting a curly brace, etc.
- C. Any errors that prevent the button from being shown at all, or is shown as a broken-image icon. This
includes syntax errors, naming errors, or permission errors.
- D. Any errors that prevent the link to be active. Note that the button could be "broken" but the link could
- E. Look at the source HTML to see if the page is properly indented (skip minor cases, but remove the point if
it is clear that indentation was largely ignored in several or most places). Ignore upper/lower case in tags.
NOTE: The TA told students incorrectly that ignoring indentation is OK. This is wrong,
but I'll rescind any indentation penalty on this assignment. However, proper indentation IS REQUIRED on
- F. The bevels of the button corners are not cleanly 45 degrees (often they will be squared off, irregular, or
missing entirely). Note that if the button is not visible you can't check for the bevel - remove this point
anyway (that penalizes a total of 2 points for a missing button).
- G. The student name does not appear in either the <TITLE>…</TITLE> tag or in the code body as part of the
- H. Any syntax errors not otherwise outlined above. This includes omitting slashes on closing tags, or
omitting tags entirely.
- I. Did not send email to firstname.lastname@example.org on time. Any sent in later will
require special handling.
That's a total of 9 possible infractions. For
example, Fred Smith's page basically works, but the background isn't cyan (A), the indentation is bad (E), and
the button bevels are wrong (F). Fred's score would be 7/10, and the note code for Fred will be AEF.