James E. Kostas
I am a fifth-year PhD student working with Dr. Philip Thomas in the Autonomous Learning Lab
(ALL). My research interests lie at the intersection of reinforcement learning
(RL), stochastic neural networks (coagent networks), deep learning, and robotics.
I am particularly interested in "sim-to-real" transfer learning for RL with robotics applications. I am also interested in the intersection of RL and evolutionary algorithms/AutoML.
- Dhawal Gupta, Gabor Mihucz, Matthew Schlegel, James Kostas, Philip Thomas, Martha White. Structural Credit Assignment in Neural Networks using Reinforcement Learning. In Advances in Neural Information Processing Systems (NeurIPS), 2021.
- James Kostas, Yash Chandak, Scott Jordan, Georgios Theocharous, Philip Thomas. High Confidence Generalization for Reinforcement Learning. In Proceedings of the 38th International Conference on Machine Learning (ICML 2021).
- James Kostas, Chris Nota, Philip Thomas. Asynchronous Coagent Networks. In Proceedings of the 37th International Conference on Machine Learning (ICML 2020).
- Yash Chandak, Georgios Theocharous, James Kostas, Scott Jordan, Philip Thomas. Learning Action Representations for Reinforcement Learning. In Proceedings of the 36th International Conference on Machine Learning (ICML 2019).
- Yash Chandak, Georgios Theocharous, James Kostas, Philip Thomas. Reinforcement Learning with a Dynamic Action Set. Continual Learning workshop at the Thirty-second Conference on Neural Information Processing Systems (NeurIPS 2018).