I am a lecturer in the College of Information and
Computer Sciences at UMass Amherst. I teach several courses, serve on several committees, and participate in a number of research projects. My
interest is in scalable educational software design and implementation, programming
languages, software engineering, databases and data mining. I am
also very interested in computer science education and curriculum
development. I work with community colleges to facilitate student transfers to the UMass CS program.
||Lederle Graduate Research Center (LGRC) room A349B
UMass Amherst / Lecturer- Full time faculty member 2014-present
- CMPSCI 121 Introduction to problem solving with computers (Java)
- CMPSCI 320 Software Engineering
- CMPSCI 529 Software Project Management
- CMPSCI 397F Introduction to Data Science
Greenfield Community College / Full time faculty member 2011-2014
- Java Programming
- C++ Programming
- Data Structures
- Advanced Database Programming
- Discrete Math
- Web Design
- Network Server Administration
Holyoke Community College / Adjunct faculty member 2009-2011
- Introduction to Computers (with lab)
- Relational Database Design and Programming
Here are some research projects I am involved with:
- Effectiveness of the "flipped" class in Chemistry education:
David Gross, Gordon Anderson, Karin Camihort, and Mark J. Graham,
"Mechanisms underlying student outcome improvement in the flipped classroom"
CBE Life Sci Educ December 1, 2015 14:ar36; doi:10.1187/cbe.15-02-0040
- American Chemical Society- mapping standardized test questions to a topic framework (CESD).
- Identifying effective patterns of learning behavior in large, computer-based educational systems (with Professor Robert Moll).
Center for Educational Software Development (CESD) UMass, Amherst 2001-2014
- Software design and development for various projects including the OWL learning management system.
Quad Graphics (Quad Tech) Sussex, WI and Weesp, Netherlands 1986-1993
- Embedded systems to automate various functions of high-speed web printing.
- Installation and service technician- US and Western Europe 1986-1991.
- European Service Manager 1991-1993.
In addition to being a lecturer I am a member of the Undergraduate Program Committee
(UPC), designated freshmen advisor, and member of the Informatics program committee.
I am also the liaison to Community Colleges.