My homepage will soon be revised to reflect my current research more appropriately.
Welcome to my home page. I'm a PhD candidate at the Laboratory for Perceptual Robotics at the University of Massachusetts Amherst under the supervision of Professor Roderic A. Grupen. Other professors that I frequently collaborate with include Shlomo Zilberstein from School of Computer Science and Yu-Kyong Choe from Department of Communication Disorders at the University of Massachusetts Amherst. Before joining UMass, I conducted my MS at Stanford University and BS at Yonsei University.
My research focus is to assist domain experts in overcoming the challenges of contemporary practices and achieving better performance in their tasks. The primary project is to write individualized therapy programs for post-stroke patients who do not have easy access to experienced therapists. Towards that end, I proposed and have been investigating a framework and computational models that can be used standalone or along with physically/socially assistive robots. The project involves 1) finding structures in therapeutic tasks which allows decision making in a task space, 2) devising and testing the feasibility of remote therapies (using robots and potentially games), 3) modeling the motor performance of an individual patient and the target selection model of a therapist in the defined task space.
The link to my academic genealogy (yet incomplete). It includes the famous Johann Peter Gustav Lejeune Dirichlet, Jean-Baptiste Joseph Fourier, Carl Friedrich Gauß, Joseph Louis Lagrange, Pierre-Simon Laplace, Simeon Denis Poisson (in lexical order).
News for 2015
- I gave a talk at Mount Holyoke College (MHC), MA on OCT 28.
- I gave a talk at Seoul National University (SNU), Korea on AUG 26.
- I gave a talk at Rehabilitation Center, Heeyeon Hospital, Korea on AUG 17.
- I gave a talk at Nanyang Technological University (NTU), Singapore on AUG 11.
- I gave a talk at Korea Institute of Science and Technology (KIST), Korea on AUG 5.
- I gave a talk at Yonsei University, Korea on AUG 4.
- I was invited to the 2nd Annual International Conference on Equal Education Opportunity by U-Learning Technology (EEOBULT), West Java, Indonesia. (Invitation only)
- Two papers I co-authored were accepted to the AAAI Fall Symposium'15 and the IEEE-RAS HUMANOIDS'15.
- My paper Adaptive Therapy Strategies: Efficacy and Learning Framework was accepted to the IEEE/RAS-EMBS ICORR'15.
- I was elected a PC Co-Chair for the ACM/IEEE HRI'16 Pioneers Workshop.
- My research abstract was accepted to the ACM IUI'15 Student Consortium.
- My research abstract was accepted to the ACM/IEEE HRI'15 Pioneers Workshop.
- My paper Learning Therapy Strategies from Demonstration Using Latent Dirichlet Allocation was accepted to the ACM IUI'15. (accept rate=22.9%)